A summary of insights from industry leaders on Day 3 of Advertising Week New York, Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Day 3 of Advertising Week New York 2023 brought another packed schedule of leaders sharing insights and discussing the challenges and opportunities facing the industry. Here are a few highlights we captured from Day 3:
- “There actually aren’t really ‘cord-cutters’ or ‘cord-nevers’, everyone is actually a ‘cord mover’.” – Nicolle Pangis
- SESSION: Empty Rooms Can’t Buy Shit: The Advertising Battle to Re-Take the Living Room with Dallas Lawrence, Chief Strategy Officer, Telly; Ilya Pozin, Founder and CEO, Telly; Mark Douglas, President & CEO, MNTN; and Nicolle Pangis, CEO, Ampersand
- QUOTABLE INSIGHT: We’re more connected than we’ve ever been, probably too much. Television is being watched in more than just the living room and that’s an opportunity for marketers. – Nicolle Pangis
- Marketing research models, even those using AI, are intended to iterate and improve.
- SESSION: Unlocking Advertising Success: AI-Powered Creative Performance Analysis with Jed Meyer, SVP, Media Solutions Leader, Kantar and Aarti Bhaskaran, Global Head of Ad Research & Insights, Snap Inc.
- QUOTABLE INSIGHT: Just because we work on and create a model, that’s not the end. Then there’s version 2, version 3, version 4; we keep iterating and improving.” – Aarti Bhaskaran
- “Success” is for men what “beauty” was (is) for women [in advertising].”
- SESSION: Have We Left Men and Boys Behind? with Sara Denby, Head of the Unstereotype Alliance, Secretariat, UN Women; Fernando Desouches, Managing Director, New Macho, BBD Perfect Storm; Rebecca Swift, SVP of Creative, Getty Images; Rachel Lowenstein, Global Head of Inclusive Innovation, Mindshare; and Stephanie Jacoby, SVP Brand Marketing, Diageo
- QUOTABLE INSIGHT: Algorithms are exploiting men’s’ insecurities. Most men start by searching for things to improve their lives, but quickly are taken to redpill content. 66.5% of Millennial men say advertising and the media is likely or very likely to have a negative impact on how successful they feel (BBD Perfect Storm “New Macho” 2023).
- “Reframe ‘bad results’ in measurement.” – Shreya Gulati
- SESSION: The Power of Partnerships to Support Stronger Measurement with Ioanna Protogiannis, Director of Measurement & Reporting Solutions, LG Ad Solutions; Laura Manning, SVP of Measurement, Cint; Neala Brown, SVP Strategy & Insights, Teads; and Shreya Gulati, Sr Director, Measurement Partnerships, The Trade Desk
- QUOTABLE INSIGHT: In response to the question, “If you had a magic wand and could change one thing in measurement, what would it be?”: “Reframe ‘bad results’ in measurement – it’s a learning opportunity and you’ll gain some of the best insights for your brand in that moment” – Shreya Gulati
What insights did you discover at Advertising Week New York 2023? Reach out, we’d love to hear.